Monday, June 19, 2006

Finding Terry

Terry is a 50-60 year old man who came as a sponsor. He has some mild disabilities. All we knew is that he was wearing a red shirt and red suspenders. I'll get back to this part later.

Last night completed our first night of Indiana2. I preached the opening sermon...let's just say that we all missed Mark Christian, he did the preaching last week!

The sermon was all about redemption. How Jesus shows up to find us and heal our brokenness.

At the end of the night we walked out into the lobby and the rain was just POURING. I took our team backstage to meet. We had just started our meeting when Emily Pelsue came back to tell us that Terry was missing.

I looked at our team and we quickly assembled a search party on the Anderson campus. I sent out our BC teams and our Interns and we divided up the campus. It was dark and raining and we had no idea where Terry had gone.

It only took a short time. Terry didn't want to stand in the rain anymore than we did. So he went back to the dorm. Smart guy.

I guess the part that smacked me the hardest is how quickly and efficiently we could assemble a response to someone who was lost. That just makes me wonder all the more why the church stinks so bad at doing the same. Why is it that we can read book after book and attend seminar after seminar about improving our impact in the community, yet our ability to actually find someone truly lost is ineffective. It's like we don't know where to look.

So here's to finding the Terry in every city. The spiritually disabled who sometimes don't even realize they are lost. May the church get a clue. May the church restore it's passion for not only talking about the lost...but finding them as well.

Jayson

3 Comments:

Blogger seth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:31 PM

 
Blogger seth said...

Hey Jayson
Hi My name is Seth Houser I live In Indiana. My youth group thinks you are the most coolest guy. We went to ICYC in Indiana and you was there and you was talking about your wife on having surgery at the end of you talking. How is she doing. Is she doing well. After we got back. In are Sunday school class we put here on it and we was wanting to know how is she. So people wanted to know how she is. See you in Tenn July 23-28 at CIY. Hope to here from you bye.
Seth
seth24c@hotmail.com

7:49 PM

 
Blogger johnny scott said...

Hey bro! I have a few BC kids I can't get to wander off! I'm just kidding (Garret . . . you know I love you if you are reading this) We miss you guys, peace!

9:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home