Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day from Indiana

My day started off great with a little gift from my kids. They got me a 4-pack of Starbucks frapucchino to start my day off. I like that a lot! What concerns me as I type this is that blogger doesn't recognize the word "Starbucks" or frappuccino. This 4-pack is yet another contributor to the demise of my six pack...along with an 18 oz. steak, blackberry cobbler, good ice cream, and my favorite candy.

I guess when I get back home I'll have to keep riding the new Father's Day bike to the office to make up for it! I hate the 24 miles (roundtrip)...but I love the money I'm saving on gas and the workout that I get! I've had some great conversations with the Father. I've also enjoyed some time with Mark Driscoll, Rob Bell and John Piper. Thank you iPod!

Last week here in Indiana was pretty amazing. It was humbling to see the Holy Spirit at work. I can't wait to see how the Spirit works this week. I think the hardest part is the silence after everyone leaves. I enjoy the break and the nap...but I hate not getting to see life change play out in students. I miss not getting to see the stories unpack. That will always be the hardest part. I love the local church and it will always be hard to not be engaged with the students as they grow.

We will start registration here in a couple of hours for the next week. It's pretty quiet here right now...but it won't be for long. We have a huge group coming in this week. I wonder if they will go as nuts for the video of the Indian/Punjabi guy as the last group. We did find the lyrics to the song. It was nuts. I saw this stupid video roll and I almost told the tech guys to pull it...by the end of the week entire youth groups had a full blown choreography to the song. High School students crack me up.

I get to hang out with Chad Brown this week. I'm sure that he will try and get me up on stage to do the dance or some sort of stupid impersonation. Chad basically has a great time at my expense...he knows that I tend to stink at any sort of impersonation...so he is always trying to get me going. All of my impersonations sound like Apu Nahasapeemapetilon off the Simpsons. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to be Irish, English or German...I always sound like Apu.

Hey...if you get a chance you've got to check out the Youth Group 101...they are SO, SO true. Yet another time to poke fun at the entire culture of Youth Ministry...I love this job. You can check them out on our website, on YouTube or through iTunes on the CIY Summer Conference Podcast. Enjoy!

13 Comments:

Blogger emmapetitt said...

Hi!

I went to Anderson last week for conference. I wanted to thank you for all that you do. I have been to four summer conferences and this was the best one yet. At the first one I gave my life to Christ, yet this one was more life changing. My youth group was so inspired by the "prayer squares" that we created our own that is now traveling around our youth group.

I pray all is well.
thanks again.
=]
Emma.

12:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jayson I just wanted to tell you that God is really working through you. Everything you said on Friday at conference was so unbelievable. It floored me. I sat there stunned as I got the yelling I deserved.

Thank you. Thank you for doing what you do. MOVE looks incredible. It saddens me that I'm too old to go and too young to sponser. Hopefully though I'll be able to sponor or intern within the next few years.

It's really cool that you listen to Driscoll. He is one of my favorite preachers if not my favorite. I love what both Mars Hills are doing.

Well I hope Indiana2 is going well this week. I pray that it goes smoothly with all the extra students and the challenges that they bring.

God is working through you guys. God is working beyond the event and his power is already transforming the culture around me on little piece at a time.

Shalom.

3:04 PM

 
Blogger hisprincess007 said...

Jayson- just wanted to let you know that you are so awesome. ... wait. you are awesome- BUT CHRIST IS AWESOMEE!!! I'm so excited for the teens and souls that will be won for Christ through CIY. I've been going for 4 years now, and last year was my first year that I kept my committment.- that is so horrible, but I'M SO EXCITED. I feel stronger to Christ then ever, and your message on Friday spoke to ALL of us. We sat in our His Time and confessed and apologized and made up a plan for the future for our youth group... ( which has now become like my family.) I'm so glad that you had a great Father's Day, and I'm so glad that you are preaching and sharing the good news, - you have changed so many people.
ROCK ON JESUS ROCK ON.
In Christ,
Bre

7:26 PM

 
Blogger Jayson French said...

Emma,
That is such a cool concept. I love that you doing prayer squares in your youth group. Let me know how it goes!

7:28 PM

 
Blogger Jayson French said...

Adam,
Thanks for the note man. I was worried I was a little too hard on you all. I felt that is the message God laid on me...but I was praying the Holy Spirit would be comforter as well.

I'm sure you'll be at MOVE. If we don't cross paths in this life...then I'll see you in the next.

Thanks for the note.

Jayson

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Jayson French said...

Bre,
That makes me so happy to hear about your group time. That's what we are all about.

7:33 PM

 
Blogger Greg Holder said...

Hey Jayson...just wanted to take a second and thank you for an awesome week at the first Anderson conference. I'm a sponsor with the Ethos Collective (Ben Walker's group) and our students were seriously challenged by this year's theme. Great stuff!

I also think our students are going to try to get some sort of AIDS project started in our church. They'll probably start by showing your video during next week's service. Hopefully that will jump start the process a bit. It's so good to see CIY tackling social issues like this.

And one more thing...I just have to say that your message on Friday night was absolutely phenomenal. That one is going to live on my iPod for quite a while (once I get a hold of it). I know that was probably a tough message to give, but man...it was desperately needed.

I know you don't get the chance to see the aftermath these events, but trust me when I tell you that CIY Summer Conference (errr...I mean MOVE) plays a pivotal part in our student's spiritual growth each year. May God bless you this week and through the rest of your conferences this summer.

Greg

8:12 PM

 
Blogger Jayson French said...

Greg,
Thanks man. That message was VERY hard to give. I'm still deciding if I want to preach it that way all summer. I'm weighing things out right now in my heart. I may have to soften it a little to help it go down. I'm preaching to myself...but I know it is a hard message for the church to take. I'm trying to figure out a way to preach it...but with a softer pastoral spirit. I'm not sure I've got that in my DNA...

2:59 PM

 
Blogger seth said...

Hey Jayson! I don't know if you remeber me. I met you last year at Lee in TN. This year are youth group did not go to CIY this year but some of the youth did want to go. But are youth minster ask us to step it up. So we did. Last week we went to MS to help the people in the Hurrican people. There are some Senior are wanting to know you they can come and see you speak tonight in Indiana. We live in Indiana and 45 min from Anderson. Can you help us out please.
Seth Houser
seth24c@hotmail.com
1-765-524-7946

10:49 AM

 
Blogger Jayson French said...

No problem Seth. Feel free. Just check in at the Station (CIY Bookstore) as soon as you get on campus.

2:11 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Jayson,
My husband Rob prayed over the plexiglass walls the 2nd week in Anderson. We want to share with you something that happened to bring things full circle but not in a public forum. Please email me @ kymommacoop@insightbb.com and I will share with you.
Kelly Cooper

5:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jayson this is Kevin from Anderson. One of the Reardon tech guys (Brent) and I went to the Aaron Pelsue cd release show on Friday and saw one of the craziest things. First of all we ran into two different youth groups who were at Anderson week 1. It was really crazy when as we were looking across the sanctuary in East 91st St Church and saw them actually doing the dance to the Indian video from CIY. Definitely was funny, and thought you'd appreciate that.

9:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jayson. I just got back from CIY in Michigan and I was reading some of the comments people left about the Friday night sermon. Dude, I think that the way you presented it and everything was close to perfect. It kicked us in our face and I really needed that. I wish that it didn't step on my toes but it definitely does. It was so obvious to me how sincere you were...and I think thats why you shouldn't tone it down. What the heck do I know though? haha. I just wanted to let you know thats how I felt and that your message really spoke to me. You are an incredible speaker.
God Bless.
Kayla.

11:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home